I grew up in an environment of stress, negativity and beliefs that did not serve me and my family. We had many negative experiences that were painful due to us not having control in our choices and thinking, because we all grew up learning a series of ideas and beliefs that were accustomed to us in the environment where we lived. We grew up as reactors, not positive influences, so we didn’t have open-mindedness, anything new would be feared, unaccepted or criticized. When I turned 22 years old, I started to experience some glimpses of awakening. My spirituality was expanding, my soul wanted to learn more about God, my mind started to accept universal ideas, meditation, yoga, positive views, leading me to get rid of the beliefs that did not serve me and allowing space for new changing beliefs and views of the world that would optimize my experience in this earth school.
The key was that I had to change myself, “self” is identified as “mind”. This would be the new way, the way to awakening. I decided to go that road and give it a try.
Over the years I have learned many difficult lessons, sometimes I still get unwanted results that were created in a painful mindset because of my negative beliefs, sometimes I notice that I have developed spiritual strength allowing my spirit to be powerful and different. At the end, all of this is a process that takes many years to be learned and developed, there is no student who has changed in 1 day to a spiritual teacher who found awakening. The path to awakening takes time, effort, it is a daily choice, it is a daily challenge with your mind and old-self, it is the new way to practice the ideas of wise masters who have roamed in our planet Earth leaving a blueprint for the ones who want to be spiritually free.
Here I will share what has been to me my path of awakening and what to do about it to get better in life, remember I am also learning while I am writing this for you. There is no perfection status and failure is normal, so when you fail get back up and keep going until you can get better and better.
Path of Awakening:
- When beings of the world are filled with evil, convert adversities into the path of awakening by understanding the world has karma from previous generations, all bad karma will pass in the world, but starts with changing yourself and actions to the world. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. – The Bible
- Cultivate open-mindedness for other cultures, religions, leaders and allow love to go there, remember there is 1 planet, all beings are from 1 planet which makes everyone universal and from the same place no matter what labels they have added to their territory or location of living. Never judge harshly, never judge in general because judgement automatically creates separation and pride. “whoever judges others digs a pit for themselves.” Those who obsess about the sins of others are usually those most in need of repentance. – Buddha
- Find protection in prayer and meditation. Protection is achieved in the world of meditation and prayer, give yourself to God and pray lovingly to him. He will understand you and will help you by giving you strength to overcome your obstacles. “Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear to my cry; hold not your peace at my tears! For I am a sojourner with you, a guest, like all my fathers.” “But truly God has listened; he has attended to the voice of my prayer.” “But as for me, my prayer is to you, O Lord” – The Bible
- Develop happiness and gratitude in your daily life, in fact these can be your mantras to work in a lifetime, it is easy to be upset and angry but if your roots are grounded in happiness and gratitude, you still have a greater chance to forgive, love and live a happy life. “The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.” The Bible
- Abandon the need to suffer past pains, some people stay stuck re-living the pain from 10 years ago! that is crazy! it is time to let go of negative past experiences and create space for loving new happy experiences. Some humans have the need to remember the past because they have trained their minds to only look for the negative side of things, specially if they already suffered before doing something similar. The only way to change is by letting go, forgiving and not falling in the same hole of suffering what happened years ago. “The happiness which comes from long practice, which leads to the end of suffering, which at first is like poison, but at last like nectar – this kind of happiness arises from the serenity of one’s own mind.” Ved Vyasa, The Bhagavad Gita
- Use meditation and Yoga to connect with God and your soul. Give healing to yourself by practicing the arts that have assisted humanity since the early days, yoga and meditation will bring peace to your heart. “Yoga is a method for restraining the natural turbulence of thoughts, which otherwise impartially prevent all men, of all lands, from glimpsing their true nature of Spirit. Yoga cannot know a barrier of East and West any more than does the healing and equitable light of the sun”. Paramahansa Yogananda
- The power of renouncing the ego, ego is the source of selfish actions and thoughts, it creates negative experiences usually and destroys the good. Keep reminding yourself that the ego does not serve you, take over your ego and develop the seeds of good virtues. “When the ego dies, the soul awakes.”
- Overcome distractions that do not serve you, a distracted mind can never travel in the path of awakening. Take control of what enters in your mind and what goes away, take the leads of your mind and never allow worldly distractions to take you away from what is truly important. If you find yourself daily watching ads, news, reacting to situations, never thinking in peace, always in a hurry, it means you need to make a list of your distractions and how to overcome them.
- Taming of the mind, notice if you fall in any mistakes or painful thinking and as soon as possible use a new positive belief that will change your emotion. Taming the mind means not allowing it to go back to the same old way of thinking, you already know how to be better, now tame your mind to do what must be done to be better. “There is nothing so disobedient as an undisciplined mind, and there is nothing so obedient as a disciplined mind. Buddha
- Use speech that brings love and respect to others, if you find yourself joking negatively, criticizing someone, judging others badly and their defects, pointing out their faults, being bias and irritating others because you are irritated, these are the signs you need to understand that you must transform your attitude. If your attitude brings pain and negativity to others, you must go back to the first practice and work in your mind with the path of awakening tools provided. You must use your speech to empower, love, respect and promote acceptance with others. You must use your opinions and words to create love, not pain. Do not harm others with your uncontrolled mind and tongue, be stronger and create awareness in your words and attitudes towards your brothers and sisters. Proverbs 15:4 “Gentle words bring life and health; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.” The Bible
- Never delight in the suffering of others, do not wish harm or bad to anyone, you must love your enemies, I know this is the most difficult thing to do but Christ came to show us a loving example of forgetting the sins of others and loving them even if they sin a thousand times.
I hope these tools for enlightenment can help you and that your path for awakening becomes beautiful, interesting and life changing.